Hydrotherapy (5+ Powerful Water therapies)
What Is Hydrotherapy?
Water treatment/therapy or hydrotherapy as we call it in Natural medicine is a very powerful method of healing. It has been part of man’s therapy since the beginning of man but due to many factors, this art was forgotten for a while.
However, hydrotherapy is back in the spotlight and many are getting helped by these when combined with other therapeutic therapies.
There are many forms and types of hydrotherapy. And most of them must be administered by a specialist.
We have wonderful hydrotherapists on our team and we can come to carry out some on you. All you have to do is to reach out to us.
Water treatments are safe and highly effective. We can’t live without water, water is life, and apart from drinking, there are other ways to use water to heal the body.
History Of Hydrotherapy
Ancient cultures around the world have used water therapy to treat diverse ailments. This art was almost getting lost until Father Sebastian Kneipp, a 19th-century Bavarian monk revived it when he used cold water therapy to cure his end-stage tuberculosis.
To know more about Father Kneipp, click here. Due to his influence and fame, Kneipp was able to spread the knowledge of hydrotherapy all through Germany and it eventually spread all over the world.
Principles Of Hydrotherapy
As practitioners of hydrotherapy, we know that hot and cold water have different physiological impacts on the body and they are highly beneficial.
Hot water dilates your blood vessels, removes toxic wastes from your tissues, loosens your joints, and activates your sweat glands.
Cold water, on the other hand, constricts your blood vessels and moves the flow of blood from an infected area to reduce inflammation.
When we immerse the body in water, joint pains and muscle injuries are relieved. It also reduces pressure on your joints and on your body as a whole.
Types Of Hydrotherapy
- Colon hydrotherapy: This is also known as colon irrigation, colon cleansing, or enema. It is a process of removing feces and wastes from the colon, and this, in turn, improves one’s health in tremendous ways.
- Balneotherapy: In this form of hydrotherapy, we soak you in mineral-rich water and this helps in treating immune dysfunction, fibromyalgia, low back pain, arthritis, etc.
- Compresses: In this form of hydrotherapy, we wrap clean towels soaked in hot or cold water around a body part to increase circulation or reduce inflammation. We add essential oils or some aromatic herbs in some cases to increase the therapeutic effects.
- Water circuit therapy: Also known as contrast hydrotherapy, involves dipping you in hot and cold water alternatively to promote lymphatic drainage and treat chronic pain.
- Footbaths: This involves soaking your feet in either hot or cold water to reduce swelling or pain. It can also increase circulation and reduce decongestion in the pelvic organs, lungs, and head.
- Hot fomentation: In this process, hot compresses or hot water bottle is applied to the chest or affected body part to relieve acute symptoms of bronchitis or cold.
- Sitz bath: In this form of hydrotherapy, you sit down in a tub of water to treat conditions affecting the genital areas. This is helpful in cases of anal fissures, Premenstrual syndrome, and hemorrhoids.
- Sauna: Warm and dry air are used to induced sweating, and this, in turn, relaxes your muscles, burn calories, release toxins, and even improve your skin tone.
Other forms of hydrotherapy are:
- Therapeutic baths
- Ice baths
- Steam baths
- Hot tub bath
- Cold sheet wrap, etc.
We have trained hydrotherapists on our team who can help with these procedures and even more. All you have to do is to reach out to us.