Green leafy vegetables are superfoods. They contain almost everything your body needs. They affect every cell, tissue, organ, and system of your body.
Some of the amazing benefits of green leafy vegetables in the body are:
- They improve weak eyesight
- They treat digestive problems
- Balance the levels of hormones and cholesterol.
- They enhance your appearance
- They make your skin glow
- They make your scalp healthy and strengthen it
- They treat anemia
- They promote cardiovascular health
- They prevent obesity and promote weight loss
- They increase your levels of energy
- They also increase your lifespan
You have to consume green leafy vegetables regularly for improved health. If you want to maintain a healthy heart, skin, eye, and digestive system; you have to consume them daily.
What Does Green Leafy Vegetables Contain?
The following nutrients are present in green leafy vegetables:
- They fight cancer, DNA damage and eliminate free radicals from the body.
- Phytochemicals of various types. The most popular ones are lutein and zeaxanthin which boosts eyesight
- They are dense in chlorophyll (liquid sunlight). Chlorophyll is responsible for the green color of these vegetables and it has a lot of health benefits.
- They contain proteins. Green leafy vegetables are dense in proteins. Little wonder, ruminant animals and other herbivores feed only on green plants and yet, they grow so big.
- They contain calcium. This makes them beneficial for people with bone and teeth problems
- They contain calories and little sugar
- They are rich in dietary fiber
- They are rich in vital minerals like potassium, magnesium, selenium, etc.
- They are rich in iron. People suffering from iron-deficiency anemia can benefit from this
- They also contain vitamins A, B, C
Disadvantages of Cooking Your Green Vegetables
Heat destroys most of the nutrients in green leafy vegetables. This is one of the main reasons you have to take them raw. This will protect all the nutrients that can be lost through heat.
Another thing heat does is that it reduces the size of vegetables. This has discouraged a lot of people from eating vegetables. Most especially, large families who are on a low budget, many remove vegetables from their meal plan.
However, when you take your vegetable raw, all these disadvantages would be taken care of. A little quantity of vegetables can go a long way.
How do I take my green vegetables raw?
First of all, you need a strong blender or a grinder. Getting a quality blender is not a waste of money. You are simply investing in your health and your body will thank you for this.
You need a blender to help you break the cellulose. This is one of the toughest materials to digest on earth. That is why you see the ruminant animals regurgitate and keep chewing their foods.
They are simply trying to break the cellulose. All the goodies in the plant cells are packed in these and you have to break it before they can come out. A blender helps you to do this.
Cellulose also has other benefits. They strengthen our stomach acids and make digestion easy. Weak stomach acid is behind almost every health condition you can think of.
What You Need for Green Smoothies
- You need a blender (you already know why)
- You need a liquid base (this can be plain water, coconut milk or any plant-based milk)
- Any green leafy vegetable of your choice (you can pick from spinach, parsley, celery, waterleaf, garden egg leaf, etc.). Don’t stick to one leaf only, make sure you try many leaves as possible to have a variety of nutrients and phytochemicals.
- Any Fruit of your choice.
- Herbs. I love adding ginger and turmeric root to my green smoothies. Herbs are highly medicinal and beneficial.
When you get all your ingredients ready, put them all in the blender and add your liquid base. Blend until you get a very smooth consistency. This will be easier to drink.
This is how to take your vegetables raw. And this is the best way to take in green vegetables daily.
Mistakes People Make When Taking Green Smoothies
1. They sieve it
Don’t sieve your smoothies, you are to take everything in. sieving discard other nutrients like fibers. Don’t throw anything away. That’s why you should blend it until you get a very smooth consistency.
2. They Store it
Some people make plenty of green smoothies and keep it in the refrigerator. Your green smoothies should not be kept for more than 20 minutes. This is because the enzymes in the green leafy vegetables die after 20 minutes.
Enzymes are highly important in our bodies. Nutritionists call them “the spark of life”. Everything about nutrition depends on enzymes.
Vitamins cannot work without minerals. Minerals cannot work without proteins. And proteins cannot work without enzymes. Now, you see why they are important and why we need to take them in while they are still living.
A cup of green smoothies daily would improve your overall health and keep diseases at bay. You would not be prone to nutritional deficiencies. You would have lots of energy. Your body would thank you for this.